Southern New Hampshire University’s Bachelor of Arts in Human Services with a concentration in Substance Abuse gives you the training and tools to help sufferers of alcoholism, drug addiction and other substance use disorders repair their lives, careers and relationships. This specialized online program is an important first step toward becoming a drug and alcohol counselor.*

*This program does not guarantee licensure; requirements vary by state.

With an SNHU substance abuse degree online, you’ll be qualified to provide entry-level services to individuals, groups and families in residential addiction treatment facilities, outpatient addiction programs, state drug courts, prisons, mental health centers, community health centers and private practice.

Potential job titles include:

  • Addiction counselor
  • Addictions practitioner
  • Chemical dependency counselor
  • Chemical dependency professional
  • Substance abuse counselor
  • Substance use disorder counselor
  • Alcoholism and drug abuse counselor
  • Licensed alcohol and drug counselor (LADC)

You'll explore the trajectory of diagnosing, treating and reintroducing a recovering individual to a healthy, productive life. Learn screening techniques, prevention strategies and pharmacological factors from instructors with years of firsthand experience in the field.

Help substance abusers on their road to recovery with an online BA in Human Services with a concentration in Substance Abuse from SNHU.

The Bachelor of Arts degree in Human Services with a concentration in Substance Abuse, offered by Southern New Hampshire University, does not directly lead to licensure. It does provide a significant portion of the substance abuse coursework most often required for licensure. Students seeking licensure and/or certification may be required to complete additional coursework and will be required to complete fieldwork as prescribed by each state. Most states also require a passing score on a licensing exam.

The licensure process and educational requirements for drug and alcohol counselors vary from state to state. This program does not directly lead to licensure.

It is the student's responsibility to contact their state board or agency for additional information regarding the licensure process and educational requirements. If the student moves to another state, the requirements for licensure will likely be different from the state where the student currently resides, and the student is responsible for determining the licensure requirements in the state to which he/she relocates. Southern New Hampshire University does not guarantee that the completion of this program will result in state licensure or certification.